It is important to rehydrate and replenish lost fluids after long runs. Although water is the most common drink to avoid dehydration, there are alternatives, such as a hydration drink. A hydration drink is a supplement packed with electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals that can be added to water. The purpose of this article is to make you, the reader, more informed about the best hydration drink for runners.
At quenchingyourthirst.com, we have researched many different hydration drinks. We have hand-picked our top 5 favorite best hydration drink for runners and will review them in this article.
Our Top Pick
Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier, Electrolyte Powder
Mixes Into 16 oz Of Water, Essential Vitamins And Minerals, Provides Same Hydration As Drinking 2-3 Bottles Of Water, 3 Flavors, Great Taste. Find it on Amazon here.
What Are We Looking For?
While researching and reviewing the best hydration drink for runners, we rated them on the following:
- We were looking for the best hydration drink for runners, which is also healthy. There are several sports drinks on the market that have considerable amounts of sugar and provide short term relief. Most of the hydration drinks reviewed in this article are non-GMO, gluten-free, vegan, and have natural sugars.
- We all know that water is the most important way to stay hydrated day-to-day. In addition to water, hydration drinks have electrolytes, minerals, and nutrients. These ingredients hydrate you more efficiently and quickly than water alone. Hydration drinks help replenish your body with fluid, while also decreasing headaches, dizziness, muscle fatigues, and cramping.
- In addition to relief from exercise, hydration drinks can also help with hangovers, heat exhaustion, and traveling. In this article, we make note of the different benefits that each hydration drink offers.
- Your favorite flavor will vary greatly depending on your personal preference. Most hydration drinks are available in multiple different flavors. In this article, we make note of the different flavors for each hydration drink discussed. Additionally, the comparison table below makes mention of some of the more popular flavors for each company.
Ease Of Use
- All hydration drinks reviewed in this article require you adding some form of supplement to water. However, some of the supplements come in a large container that you need to take a scoop from, while others are individually packaged.
- Supplements in containers that need to be portioned out require planning ahead. Individually packaged supplements are the best. This way you can throw a packet in your running belt, and add it to your water after each run. However, individual packages are not always the most environmentally friendly. Nuun solved this problem by providing small tubes of 10 tablets in each!
Considering all that was discussed above, our top 5 picks for best hydration drink for runners included drinks from the following companies (1) Liquid I.V., (2) DripDrop ORS, (3) Ultima Replenisher, (4) Nuun, and (5) Dr. Price’s.
Some general details about each of the top 5 best hydration drink for runners can be seen in the comparison table below.
Scroll from right to left on a mobile device to view hidden table options.
|Type||Liquid I.V.||DripDrop||Ultima||Nuun||Dr. Price's|
|Popular Flavor||Lemon lime||Berry||Pink lemonade||Lemon lime||Lemon lime|
|Water Required||16 oz (473 ml)||8 oz (237 ml)||16 oz (473 ml)||16 oz (473 ml)||16 oz (473 ml)|
|Calories||50 calories||35 calories||0 calories||10 calories||5 calories|
Keep scrolling down to see detailed reviews and pictures of each hydration drink for runners.
1. Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier, Electrolyte Powder
Liquid I.V.’s hydration multiplier will be sure to keep you hydrated while running. It utilizes Cellular Transport Technology (CTT), a breakthrough in science technology.
Furthermore, CTT is a specific ratio of potassium, sodium, and glucose that provides your body with water and important nutrients. Above all, this electrolyte powder will hydrate you more efficiently and effectively than water by itself.
Adding 1 packet into 16 oz (473 ml) of water can provide the same hydration as drinking at least 2 water bottles.
Additionally, Liquid I.V. contains up to 3 times the electrolytes of standard sports drinks. The electrolyte powder contains 5 essential vitamins and is made with no artificial flavors.
Other notable features of the Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier powder include:
- 3 Great Flavors – lemon-lime, Acai Berry, Passion Fruit
- 11 Essential Vitamins – including B3, B5, B6, B12, and C
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier, Electrolyte Powder.
2. DripDrop ORS Electrolyte Powder
Designed by a doctor to provide dehydration relief, DripDrop ORS is a patented mix of electrolytes and glucose.
It boasts three times the electrolytes and one-half of the sugar content of typical sports drinks. In addition to a great hydration drink for runners, DripDrop ORS also works for hangovers, illness, travel and heat exhaustion.
The electrolyte powder is available in three flavors: watermelon, lemon, and berry. Additionally, DripDrop ORS powders contain all-natural colors and flavors, are non-GMO, and are gluten-free.
For the most effective use, mix one 0.35 oz (10 g) packet with 8 oz (237 ml) of water. The precise formula helps to provide hydration relief in the following ways:
- Potassium – aids muscles
- Zinc – repair tissue
- Magnesium – improves oxygen uptake in muscles
- Vitamin C – neutralizes lactic acid
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the DripDrop ORS Electrolyte Powder.
3. Ultima Replenisher Hydrating Electrolyte Powder
Ultima Replenisher is great for rehydration and replacing electrolytes lost from exercising. Designed from clean ingredients, the powder has zero calories, zero sugar and uses plant-based colors and flavors.
Additionally, it includes the following electrolytes: Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, Calcium, and Phosphorus.
Designed for runners, the electrolyte powder helps muscle performance, prevent cramps, and is great for on-the-go hydration.
It can be served hot, or cold, just add 1 Ultima scoop of powder to 16 oz (473 ml) of water. Other notable features of the Ultima Replenisher Hydrating Electrolyte Powder include:
- Clean Ingredients – gluten-free, caffeine-free, soy/dairy-free and vegan
- Great Taste – popular flavors include pink lemonade, orange, and cherry pomegranate
- Multi-Use – rehydration during or after exercise, hangovers, muscle cramp prevention
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Ultima Replenisher Hydrating Electrolyte Powder.
4. Nuun Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tablets
Nuun electrolyte tablets were designed to keep you hydrated during your active lifestyle. Each tube contains 10 tabs, each tab can be added to 16 oz (473 ml) of water to make one sports drink.
Nuun tabs are available in a variety of flavors, but strawberry lemonade and lemon-lime are amongst the more popular ones.
The smart hydration tabs are filled with electrolytes, clean ingredients, and light flavors. Furthermore, electrolytes help muscle function, reduce cramps, and burn energy efficiently.
Other notable features of the Nuun Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tablets include:
- Designed For An Active Lifestyle – throw a tube of tabs in your running pack and add one to your water bottle after exercise
- Quick Dissolve – no powders to mix, tabs quickly dissolve in water
- Clean Ingredients – gluten-free, vegan, low in calories
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Nuun Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tablets.
5. Dr. Price’s Electrolyte Mix, Super Hydration Formula
Claiming to be the highest quality electrolyte hydration formula, Dr. Price’s Electrolyte Mix contains a blend of 72 trace minerals and electrolytes. In addition to others, the main minerals include Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium.
Served best with cold water, dump one pouch into 16 oz (473 ml) of water. The formula dissolves quickly, providing rapid hydration and restoring healthy levels of electrolytes.
Available in three flavors: lemon-lime, raspberry, and blueberry pomegranate.
Other notable features of the Dr. Price’s Electrolytes Super Hydration Formula include:
- Individually Packaged – convenient to take with you on-the-go
- Healthy Ingredients – non-GMO, no sugar, gluten-free and vegan
- Fast Absorption – rapid hydration after exercise
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Dr. Price’s Electrolytes Super Hydration Formula.
In conclusion, we researched and reviewed our top 5 picks for the best hydration drink for runners.
Our top 5 picks included hydration drinks from the following companies (1) Liquid I.V., (2) DripDrop ORS, (3) Ultima Replenisher, (4) Nuun, and (5) Dr. Price’s.
We rated the best hydration drink for runners on the following categories:
- Natural ingredients
- Hydration benefits
- Multiple flavors
- Ease of use
For any comments, questions or feedback you might have, please send us a message through our contact form.