It is important to stay hydrated before, during and after running long distances. However, many runners find it awkward to carry a water bottle by hand while exercising. Some alternatives to carrying water bottles by hand while running include hydration belts and hydration vests. The purpose of this article is to make you, the reader, more informed about the best hydration vest for running.
At quenchingyourthirst.com, we have researched many hydration vests. We have hand-picked our top 5 favorite best hydration vests for running and will review them in this article.
What Are We Looking For?
While researching and reviewing the best hydration vest for running, we rated them on the following:
Vest Size and Weight
- You will be wearing the hydration vest while on long runs. Therefore, it should be considerably lightweight and small in size. Similarly, it should be available in multiple sizes or be modifiable. For instance, many of the vests we review in this article have adjustable chest and shoulder straps to securely fit a range of body sizes.
Method of Hydration
- How you choose to stay hydrated while running is a personal choice. Some would prefer to have a hydration bladder with a hose. Others choose to use a few small water bottles. Above all, it is important that you are staying hydrated while running. In this article, we make note of whether the vests discussed are designed for hydration bladders, water bottles, or both.
- In addition to keeping you hydrated, running vests serve a dual purpose as well. They also are great for storing jackets, hats, keys, phones, gel packs, and other running essentials. For instance, all the vests we review in this article have at least 3 pockets. In other words, you will have lots of room to store your personal belongings. For each vest, we review the number of pockets, intended use, and the materials they were made from.
Considering all that was discussed above, our top 5 picks for best hydration vest for running include (1) AONIJIE, (2) SGUTEN, (3) Nathan QuickStart, (4) LANZON, and (5) Nathan VaporAir.
Some general details about each of the top 5 best hydration vest for running can be seen in the comparison table below.
Scroll from right to left on a mobile device to view hidden table options.
|Type||AONIJIE||SGUTEN||Nathan QuickStart||LANZON||Nathan VaporAir|
|Size||5.5L capacity||N/A||4L capacity||N/A||7L capacity|
|Weight||8.8 oz||8.8 oz||9.5 oz||12 oz||14.9 oz|
|Bladder Included||No||Yes, 2L||Yes, 1.5L||No||Yes, 2L|
Keep scrolling down to see detailed reviews and pictures of each hydration vest.
1. AONIJIE Running Hydration Vest
The AONIJIE running hydration vest is available in one size. However, adjustable side and chest straps allow you to dial in comfort and reduce bouncing.
The vest best fits runners with chests sized 31.5″ – 47.3″ (80.0 cm – 120.1 cm). Standing alone, the vest only weighs 0.55 lbs (250 g). Additionally, it is available in blue, grey and rose red colors.
Equipped with a total of 6 pockets, the hydration vest has a total storage capacity of 5.5L. This includes one zipped main pocket on the back, two zipped pockets and one pouch on the shoulder straps, and two front pouches for flasks.
Shoulder straps are designed from lightweight, breathable material. In addition, the back of the vest is made from waterproof fabric and features reflective stripes.
Depending on your personal preference, the hydration vest is available in four different options for water carrying ability.
In its most basic form, the vest is can be purchased without a bladder or flasks included. Secondly, the vest is available with a 2L bladder, however, no flasks are included.
Thirdly, you can purchase it with both a 2L bladder and two 350ml flasks included. Finally, the vest is available without a bladder, but two 350ml flasks are included.
In addition, other notable features of the AONIJIE Running Hydration Vest include:
- Designed For Comfort – breathable mesh helps wick moisture
- One Size Fits Most – adjustable side and chest straps
- Plenty Storage – 6 pockets total
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the AONIJIE Running Hydration Vest.
2. SGUTEN Hydration Running Vest
The SGUTEN hydration vest measures 13.8″ (35.1 cm) in length and 7.1″ (18.0 cm) in width.
Made from a lightweight, and breathable material, the vest only weighs 0.55 lbs (250 g). Adjustable straps help tightly fit the vest to all body sizes and reduce the pack from bouncing while exercising.
The vest was designed with five pockets to fulfill your hydration needs, as well as carry personal belongings.
Firstly, there are two front zippered pockets. These are great for storing phones and other personal accessories.
Secondly, there are two front lower pouches, ideal for water bottles sized 600ml and less. Finally, there is one large zippered pocket on the back. This is pocket was designed to store up to a 2L water bladder.
Included with the purchase of a SGUTEN running vest is a 2L water bladder. Measuring 15.4″ (39.1 cm) in length and 7″ (17.8 cm) wide, the water bladder is pressure-tolerant and leak proof.
An easy-to-use nozzle allows constant flow while drinking from the bladder. A dustproof nozzle cover, connected to the hose, helps to keep the mouthpiece clean and free from dirt.
In addition, other notable features of the SGUTEN hydration vest include:
- Reflective Strips – great for visibility in dim lit conditions
- Polyester Fabric – durable and resistant to wear and tear
- Durable 2L Bladder – passed pneumatic, swing and vibration testing
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the SGUTEN hydration vest.
3. Nathan QuickStart Hydration Running Vest
The QuickStart running vest by Nathan is available in two colors, a black option, and a blue/gray option.
With a storage capacity of 4L, the vest is equipped with three pockets. Firstly, there are two front pockets on the shoulder straps. One is zippered, ideal for securing your phone and other valuables.
The second is a front pouch, great for holding a small water flask sized 22 oz (650 ml) or less.
In addition to the shoulder strap storage areas, there is a main back zippered pocket. Above all, the main pocket is sized to fit a hydration bladder. However, it also works to store other larger items such as a jacket or hat.
Similar to other hydration vests, the Nathan QuickStart comes with a 1.5L hydration bladder. Designed to be easily accessible, the hose clips onto one of the buckles on the chest strap.
This stops the hose from bouncing during activity, as well as allowing for easy sipping. Lightweight and comfort are at the forefront of this vest. In addition, mesh material helps wick away sweat and increase breathability.
In addition, other notable features of the Nathan QuickStart vest include:
- Lightweight – 5.5 oz without a bladder, 9.5 oz with a bladder
- Adjustable Front and Side Straps – one size fits most
- Unisex – designed for all
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Nathan QuickStart hydration vest.
4. LANZON Hydration Running Vest
The LANZON hydration vest is available in three colors: black, blue and red. It is only designed in one-size, however, adjustable chest and waist straps help secure the pack to various sized bodies.
Reflective stripes are on the shoulder straps and back of the vest for visibility in dim lit conditions.
Weighing only 12 oz (340 g), the vest is equipped with 7 pockets. Firstly, there is the main compartment that is sized for a 2L bladder.
Secondly, there are two stretch-mesh pockets on the front of the shoulder straps for extra food and water bottles.
In addition, there are two zippered pockets on the shoulder straps for securely storing personal items like phones, keys, and credit cards. The remainder of the pockets include a front stretchable mesh pouch for stashing a jacket, as well as an interior zip pocket.
It should be noted that water bladders are sold separately, and are not included with the purchase of a LANZON vest.
In addition, other notable features of the LANZON hydration vest include:
- Multiple Storage Options – 7 pockets total
- Breathable Design – sweat-resistant mesh helps cool you down by wicking sweat away
- Designed For All Seasons – made with 210D waterproof fabric
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the LANZON hydration vest.
5. Nathan VaporAir Hydration Running Vest
The second Nathan hydration running vest we review in this article is the VaporAir. Available in two colors: black/yellow and electric blue lemonade, the VaporAir only weighs 14.9 oz (422 g).
Typically hydration vests are designed with adjustable straps, allowing one size to fit most users. However, the Nathan VaporAir is available in three sizes, XS, S/M, and L/XL depending on your chest size as seen below.
The VaporAir running vest was designed to have 7 storage pockets. Firstly, there are two easy-access front bottle pockets. These are sized for 22 oz (651 ml) bottles and less.
Next, there are two mesh zippered pockets, located on the side straps. Similarly, on the front of the vest, you can utilize the zippered smart-phone pocket and a small stash pouch.
Finally, there is a bladder pocket, compatible for storing up to a 2L water reservoir.
In addition, other notable features of the Nathan VaporAir hydration running vest include:
- Bladder Included – 2L performance bladder with bite-valve
- Unique Chest Strap Design – angled straps help to secure vest close to the body to reduce bounce
- Designed For All – unisex ultra-light vest
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Nathan VaporAir hydration running vest.
In conclusion, we researched and reviewed our top 5 best hydration vest for running in this article. Our top 5 included the following (1) AONIJIE, (2) SGUTEN, (3) Nathan QuickStart, (4) LANZON, and (5) Nathan VaporAir.
We rated the best hydration vest for running on the following categories:
- Vest size and weight
- Method of hydration
- Storage options
For any comments, questions or feedback you might have, please send us a message through our contact form.