It is always important to stay hydrated, but even more so during physical activity. It is critical that you choose the right water bottle to fulfill your sporting needs so it isn’t impacting your game. The purpose of this article is to make you, the reader, more informed about the best water bottle for athletes.
At quenchingyourthirst.com, we have researched many water bottles for athletes. We have hand-picked our top 5 favorite best water bottle for athletes and will review them in this article.
What Are We Looking For?
While researching and reviewing the best water bottle for athletes, we rated them on the following:
High Flow Rate For Athletes
- Hydrating during sporting activities should be quick and efficient. Regardless of the style of water bottle, there should be a high flow rate of water. Meaning water should exit the bottle fast, and in a consistent stream. Furthermore, water bottles for athletes should be easy to drink from, providing them with a quick burst of water and then back to competing.
Easy To Grip Water Bottle
- Typically during sporting activities, your heart rate is up, you are working hard and your hands are sweaty. The best water bottle for athletes should be one that is easy to grip. In other words, it should not be slipping out of your hands when you are trying to take a sip. In this article, we make note of water bottles with some form of texture or coating for easy-grip.
Leak Proof In Sports Bags
- There is nothing worse than arriving at your sporting event, only to find out your bag and equipment is wet from your leaking water bottle. Regardless of whether your bottle is sitting upright, or upside down in your bag, it should be leakproof. For instance, in some cases, bottles are leakproof, but caps might not be. In this article, we make note of which water bottles are leakproof.
Keeps Drinks Cold
- During physical activity, the most kind of refreshing water is cold water. After all, these water bottles are designed for athletes. Therefore, they should be keeping water cold for the entirety of your sporting event.
- During the middle of a soccer or hockey game, or football practice, you typically don’t have a lot of time to rehydrate. Water breaks are often short-lived. This means that water bottles are usually thrown back onto benches, bags, or on the ground. You will want a water bottle that will keep up with your pace of play. When considering the best water bottle for athletes, it should be durable, resistant to dents, drops, and bumps.
Considering all that was discussed above, our top 5 picks reviewed in this article include water bottles from the following companies (1) Gatorade, (2) Nalgene, (3) CamelBak, (4) Hydro Flask, and (5) Contigo.
Some general details for each of the 5 picks for the best water bottle for athletes can be seen in the comparison table below.
Scroll from right to left on a mobile device to view hidden options.
|Size||28 oz and 32 oz||14 oz and 32 oz||20 oz, 25 oz, and 32 oz||32 oz and 40 oz||24 oz|
|Style||Squeeze||Wide mouth||Straw||Wide mouth with straw||Spout|
|Dishwasher Safe||Unknown||Yes, top rack||Yes||No, hand wash only||Lid top rack, hand wash body|
|Leak Proof||Yes||Yes||Yes||Not straw lid||Yes|
Keep scrolling down to see detailed reviews and pictures of each water bottle.
1. Gatorade Squeeze Bottle
The Gatorade squeeze bottle is a staple on team sports benches. It is available in both 28 oz (828 ml) and 32 oz (946 ml) sizes. In typical Gatorade fashion, the bottle is colored green and has a bright orange lid.
A high-flow valve ensures a constant flow of liquid when you squeeze the bottle. Additionally, the valve requires a build-up of pressure in the bottle to release liquid. This prevents unwanted leaks and spills.
Other notable features of the Gatorade squeeze bottle include:
- BPA-Free – made from BPA-Free materials
- Clear View Strip – helps to see the amount of liquid remaining in the bottle
- Easy Grip – sleek design allows for a non-slip grip when your hands are sweaty
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Gatorade squeeze bottle.
2. Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth
Nalgene’s best-selling water bottle for over 20 years is the Tritan wide mouth.
Made in the USA, it is called the Tritan after the material it is made from. Tritan is a durable BPA-Free plastic with a much greater shatter resistance than glass or other plastics.
In other words, it will hold up against all the bumps, drops and scrapes that it will encounter in your athletic lifestyle.
The 32 oz (1000 ml) water bottle measures 8.25″ (21.5 cm) high and 3.5″ (8.9cm) in diameter. Additionally, it only weighs 6.25 oz (178 g) when empty.
Furthermore, a cap diameter of 2.5″ (6.3 cm) conveniently fits the majority of water filtering devices.
Other notable features of the Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth include:
- Easy Clean – top-rack dishwasher safe
- Semi-Buttress Threads – allows for greater tightening force and makes for a leakproof bottle
- Wide Mouth – high flow rate of water, easy to add ice-cubes and clean
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth.
3. CamelBak Eddy+
The Eddy+ water bottle by CamelBak is available in 20 oz (591 ml), 25 oz (739 ml) and 32 oz (946 ml) sizes.
Designed from the BPA-Free, Tritan material, the bottle will be sure to keep you hydrated throughout your sporting activities. Furthermore, Tritan material allows the Eddy+ to be completely dishwasher safe.
However, if you prefer to wash your CamelBak by hand, check out our simple procedure to ensure your water bottle is staying clean.
Now, down to the impressively engineered design. A redesigned bite-valve allows for up to 25% more flow per sip.
However, don’t think that more flow means more spills. CamelBak’s Eddy+ lid is leak-proof when closed. Furthermore, the lid is spill-proof when open.
Some other notable features of the CamelBak Eddy+ include:
- Keeping It Clean – flip down the bite-valve when not drinking to keep the nozzle clean
- Hands-Free – designed for use with a straw, there is no need to grab and tilt this water bottle
- Easy To Carry – grab and go handle is great for carrying by hand or clipping to your sports bag
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the CamelBak Eddy+.
4. Hydro Flask Wide Mouth, Straw Lid
This wide mouth, stainless steel, vacuum insulated water bottle comes in two sizes: 32 oz (946 ml) or 40 oz (1180 ml).
The diameter is consistent amongst the two sizes, 3.56″ (9.04 cm), but the height differs, 9.1″ (23.1 cm) for the smaller size and 10.4″ (26.4 cm) for the larger.
Keeping liquids cold for up to 24 hours, the Hydro Flask will be sure to keep you refreshed during your next sports game. The Straw Lid (included) allows you to sip the perfect amount of liquid without ever having to remove the lid.
The finger loop is great for clipping to your hand or useful to carry the water bottle by hand.
Some additional notable features for the Hydro Flask water bottle include:
- TempShield – double-wall vacuum insulation keeps liquids cold for up to 24 hours
- 18/8 Stainless Steel – no flavor transfer when alternating beverages
- Powder Coat – easy to grip and hold when your hands are sweaty
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Hydro Flask water bottle.
5. Contigo Autoseal Chill
Chances are you have seen this water bottle around the gym or on a sports bench! This Autoseal Chill water bottle from Contigo comes in one 24 oz (710 ml) size.
The diameter is 2.75″ (7 cm) and the height is 11″ (27.9 cm). Additionally, various color options are available depending on your jersey color.
The water bottle includes a carry handle which makes it easy to grab and go if not clipping it to a bag. The vacuum insulated, stainless steel body keeps your drinks cold for up to 28 hours.
Additionally, the possibility of spills are eliminated with Contigo’s registered Autoseal technology. Furthermore, the stainless steel body must be hand-washed, but the lid is safe to put in the top rack of your dishwasher.
Some additional notable features of the Contigo water bottle include:
- Spout Cover – protecting the spout from germs and debris
- Keeping Liquids Cold – liquids stay cold for up to 28 hours
- One-Handed Drinking – press the button to sip, the water bottle automatically seals upon releasing
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Contigo Autoseal Chill water bottle.
In conclusion, we researched and reviewed our top 5 picks for the best water bottle for athletes. Our top 5 included water bottles from (1) Gatorade, (2) Nalgene, (3) CamelBak, (4) Hydro Flask, and (5) Contigo.
We rated the best water bottle for athletes on the following categories:
- High flow rate
- Easy to grip
- Leakproof in sports bags
- Keeps drinks cold
For any comments, questions or feedback you might have, please send us a message through our contact form.