Looking for the best water bottle to accompany you on your wilderness adventures? Look no further! The purpose of this article is to make you, the reader, more informed about the best water bottle for backpacking.
At quenchingyourthirst.com, we have researched many different water bottles. We have hand-picked our top 5 favorite best water bottle for backpacking and will review them in this article.
What Are We Looking For?
While researching and reviewing the best water bottle for backpacking, we rated them on the following:
At Least 32 oz In Size
- Backpacking can mean traveling through airports to faraway destinations or hiking amongst nature and sleeping in the wilderness for a few nights. Regardless of the type of backpacking, you are doing, the common theme is that you are on the move. You will want a water bottle that is large enough to keep you hydrated for a good amount of time. 32 oz (roughly 1L) is a size we decided to be practical for backpacking. Furthermore, all water bottles in this article are at least 32 oz in size.
Insulates Liquid From Outside Temperatures
- Now that you have a big enough water bottle to keep you hydrated, you’ll want the liquid inside to stay cold until the last drop. Four out of the five water bottles reviewed in this article utilize a stainless steel, double-walled, vacuum-insulated design. In other words, this design keeps your water cold for at least 24 hours.
- Additionally, the vacuum insulated design has a dual purpose. It is also great at retaining heat, some bottles for up to 12 hours. Therefore, you can use insulated stainless steel water bottles for your morning coffee, and then for your cold water throughout the day. If you are looking to have your morning coffee in a separate mug, check out Best Travel Mug For Keeping Coffee Hot.
Wide Mouth Opening
- Not always the case, but typically when you are backpacking, you don’t have access to potable water. For instance, this could include a natural river out in the wilderness, or unclean water in a foreign country. Thus, it is important to have a wide mouth opening water bottle while backpacking so there is room for filtration devices.
- Some filters screw onto the top of water bottles, others have tubes that are inserted into the bottle. Regardless, a bit larger diameter (known as wide mouth) at the top of water bottles helps provide more space for filtering dirty water. In this article, we make note of which water bottles are compatible with typical sized water filtration devices.
Can Easily Attach To A Backpacking Pack
- A water bottle isn’t much use for backpacking if you can’t attach it to your backpack. All water bottles we review in this article have some form of carrying loop or handle, which serves a dual purpose. Firstly, they are a great finger loop to carry your water bottle. Secondly, they can easily attach to a backpacking backpack with a carabiner clip. In other words, your water bottle will be easily accessible when you need it the most.
Considering all that was discussed above, our top 5 picks for the best water bottle for backpacking are from the following companies (1) Hydro Flask, (2) HYDRO CELL, (3) Iron Flask, (4) Simple Modern, and (5) Nalgene.
Some general details about each of the top 5 picks for the best water bottle for backpacking can be seen in the comparison table below.
Scroll from right to left on a mobile device to view hidden table options.
|Type||Hydro Flask||HYDRO CELL||Iron Flask||Simple Modern||Nalgene|
|Design||Double-wall vacuum insulated||Double-wall vacuum insulated||Double-wall vacuum insulated||Double-wall vacuum insulated, copper dipped||Tritan plastic|
|Insulated||24 hrs cold, 12 hours hot||24 hrs cold, 8 hrs hot||24 hrs cold, 12 hours hot||36 hrs cold, 12 hrs hot||Not insulated|
|Lids Included||1 - flex cap||2 - steel cap, sport cap||3 - straw, flip and steel lid||1 - handle lid||1 - screw top lid|
Keep scrolling down to see detailed reviews and pictures of each water bottle.
1. Hydro Flask Water Bottle – 32 oz Wide Mouth
Hydro Flask is a well-known brand in the water bottle industry. Therefore, it is no surprise that their 32 oz (946 ml) widemouth water bottle is at the top of the list for the best water bottle for backpacking.
The water bottle is made from 18/8 food-grade stainless steel. Additionally, a double-walled, vacuum-insulated design is what will keep liquids cold for up to 24 hours on your next backpacking trip.
A vacuum insulated design means Hydro Flask has removed the air between the two stainless steel walls.
Therefore, without any air molecules, it greatly reduces the heat transfer from the surroundings. This helps to keep the liquid temperature inside your water bottle constant.
The 32 oz bottle measures 3.56″ (9.0 cm) in diameter at the base, 9.1″ (23.1 cm) in height, and has a mouth diameter of 2.28″ (5.8 cm).
A widemouth diameter allows easy access for cleaning, as well as it fits most backcountry water filters.
Designed for the outdoor adventurer, the Hydro Flask will fit into most water bottle pockets on the side of your backpacking backpack.
Other notable features of the Hydro Flask 32 oz Wide Mouth water bottle include:
- Flex Cap Lid – insulated lid with durable strap, ideal for hand carrying or clipping to your backpacking pack
- Insulated Design – use it for your morning coffee as well (liquids stay 12 hours hot, 24 hours cold)
- Stylish – easy-grip powder-coated design is available in 16 colors
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Hydro Flask 32 oz Wide Mouth water bottle.
2. HYDRO CELL Stainless Steel Water Bottle
The HYDRO CELL water bottle is available in 12 different colors and four different sizes. To help quench your thirst while backpacking, we suggest the 32 oz size.
It is large enough to keep you hydrated during your outdoor adventures, and will still fit in your backpack. Made with 18/8 stainless steel, the bottle was designed to be resistant to rust and durable against drops and bumps.
As an added bonus, HYDRO CELL includes two lids with every purchase.
The standard screw cap is leak-proof and provides the most insulation, while the straw cap provides a constant flow of water and is great for one-handed drinking.
A double-wall, vacuum-insulated design helps keep beverages hot for up to 8 hours and cold for up to 24 hours.
Additionally, the double-wall design is sweat proof. In other words, there will be no condensation on the outside of your water bottle, soaking your clothes.
Other notable features of the HYDRO CELL Stainless Steel water bottle include:
- BPA-Free – no plastics found in this water bottle
- Size Matters – 32 oz measures 3.6″ (9.1 cm) in base diameter, 2.1″ (5.3 cm) in lid diameter and 9.0″ (22.8 cm) tall
- Bonus Lid – includes screw cap and sport cap with straw
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the HYDRO CELL Stainless Steel water bottle.
3. Iron Flask Sports Water Bottle
The Iron Flask 32 oz water bottle definitely has you covered for your next backpacking trip.
Its measures 3.5″ (8.9 cm) in diameter at the base, has a mouth opening diameter of 2.25″ (5.7 cm) and a height of 9″ (22.9 cm).
The double-wall design is manufactured from 18/8 premium stainless steel. Therefore, it is sweat-proof and condensation free.
Additionally, it comes with three lids! This includes a sports lid with straw, a flip lid, and a stainless steel lid. For backpacking we recommend you bringing the flip lid and stainless steel lid.
Flip lid for your hot morning coffee, and stainless steel lid when it is time to drink water and focus on hydrating. In other words, the Iron Flask water bottle was designed to regulate temperature for both hot and cold drinks.
Other notable features of the Iron Flask Sports water bottle include:
- Easy To Bring Along – while using the stainless steel lid, easily clip it onto your backpacking pack
- Premium Stainless Steel Only – BPA-Free
- Multi-Use – temperature regulated for both hot and cold drinks
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Iron Flask Sports water bottle.
4. Simple Modern Ascent 32 oz Water Bottle
The Simple Modern Ascent has a minimalistic design. However, it still includes many of the great features of other water bottles reviewed in this article.
The 32 oz bottle has a 3.5″ (8.9 cm) diameter base, a 1.88″ (4.8 cm) diameter mouth, and is 9″ (22.9 cm) tall. An insulated screw top lid helps to maintain temperatures, both hot and cold.
Additionally, the lid has a built-in multi-finger handle, great for carrying or for clipping to your backpack.
Similar to other backpacking water bottles reviewed in this article, the Simple Modern Ascent is crafted from premium 18/8 stainless steel.
However, of the two stainless steel walls, the inner is also dipped in copper. Therefore, it provides added insulation from surrounding temperatures.
This extra feature helps to keep hot drinks insulated for up to 12 hours and cold drinks for up to 36 hours.
Other notable features of the Simple Modern Ascent 32 oz water bottle include:
- Easy Clean – hand was the body, the lid is top-rack dishwasher safe
- Extra Insulation – in addition to being vacuum insulated, the inner bottle wall is also dipped in copper
- Lightweight – only 14.2 oz (0.88 lbs) when sitting empty
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Simple Modern Ascent 32 oz water bottle.
5. Nalgene Tritan Widemouth 32 oz
Chances are you have seen various Nalgene Tritan 32 oz widemouth water bottles during your outdoor adventures. For decades, it has been a go-to when discussing the best backpacking water bottle.
As many water bottle companies are now choosing to switch to stainless steel designs, Nalgene remains with BPA-Free, Tritan plastic. Tritan is an extremely impact-resistant plastic.
Furthermore, it is ideal for all the drops and bumps that go hand in hand when adventuring.
The Nalgene water bottle is completely leak-proof and will remain that way, despite being able to put it in the dishwasher. It measures 8.25″ (21.5 cm) in height and has a base diameter of 3.5″ (8.9 cm).
The cap diameter, measuring 2.5″ (6.3 cm), was designed for easy drinking. Additionally, it fits with most hydration filters on the market today.
Other notable features of the Nalgene Tritan 32 oz widemouth water bottle include:
- Loop-top – strong enough to be clipped to your bag or harness
- Screw-top Lid – secure and leak-proof
- Style Is Key – multiple color options available
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Nalgene Tritan 32 oz water bottle.
In conclusion, we researched and reviewed our top 5 picks for the best water bottle for backpacking. Our top 5 included water bottles from the following companies (1) Hydro Flask, (2) HYDRO CELL, (3) Iron Flask, (4) Simple Modern, and (5) Nalgene.
We rated the best water bottle for backpacking based on the following categories:
- At least 32 oz in size
- Insulates liquids from outside temperatures
- Wide mouth opening
- Can easily attach to a backpacking backpack
For any comments, questions or feedback you might have, please send us a message through our contact form.