Tired of carrying two beverage containers, one for hot drinks and one for cold drinks? Why not carry one that does both? The purpose of this article is to make you, the reader, more informed about the best water bottle for hot and cold drinks.
At quenchingyourthirst.com, we have researched many water bottles. We have hand-picked our top 5 favorites for the category: best water bottle for hot and cold.
What Are We Looking For?
While researching and reviewing the best water bottle for hot and cold, we rated them on the following:
How Long Do Liquids Stay Hot and Cold?
- As the title states, this article is about the best water bottles for hot and cold drinks. Water bottles should be able to keep drinks both hot and cold for extended periods of time. The water bottles we review in this article keep drinks cold for at least 24 hours and hot for at least 8 hours.
Water Bottle Design: How Are They Able To Keep Liquids Hot and Cold?
- You might think it would require different technologies to keep drinks hot and cold. Actually, the same technology can be applied to both. This is because the main focus is keeping the liquid inside the water bottle insulated from temperatures outside the bottle.
- If water bottles can retain the heat or the cold inside, then liquid temperatures will remain the same for extended periods of time. All the water bottles we review in this article utilize a double-walled, vacuum insulated, stainless steel design.
Are Multiple Lids Included?
- Typically, different lid designs are more suited for hot or cold liquids. While a straw lid provides a high flow rate and might make sense for your cold water, it wouldn’t work too well for a hot drink, probably burning the inside of your mouth. For a hot drink, you would prefer a lid that allows you to sip the beverage in small amounts, and even blow on it to help cool it down.
- In this article, we made note of companies that provided multiple lids for both hot and cold drinks. We also noted whether additional lids were included in the initial purchase, or if they are sold separately.
Considering all that was discussed above, our top 5 picks for the best water bottle for hot and cold drinks include (1) Coleman FreeFlow, (2) Hydro Flask Wide Mouth, (3) Takeya 50011 Originals, (4) ThermoFlask 50055, and (5) HYDRO CELL.
Some general details about each of the top 5 best water bottle for hot and cold can be seen in the comparison table below.
Scroll from right to left on a mobile device to view hidden table options.
|Type||Coleman FreeFlow||Hydro Flask||Takeya Originals||ThermoFlask||HYDRO CELL|
|Hours Cold||31 hrs for 24 oz||24 hrs for 32 oz||24 hrs for 18 oz||24 hrs for 18 oz||24 hrs for 18 oz|
|Hours Hot||11 hrs for 24 oz||12 hrs for 32 oz||12 hrs for 18 oz||12 hrs for 18 oz||8 hrs for 18 oz|
|Design||Double-wall vacuum insulated||Double-wall vacuum insulated||Double-wall vacuum insulated||Double-wall vacuum insulated||Double-wall vacuum insulated|
|Size||24 and 40 oz||32 and 40 oz||18 - 64 oz||18 - 64 oz||18 - 40 oz|
Keep scrolling down to see detailed reviews and pictures of each water bottle.
1. Coleman FreeFlow AUTOSEAL Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle
Coleman’s FreeFlow water bottle stays hot and cold for hours! The 24 oz (710 ml) water bottle keeps drinks colds up to 31 hours or hot up to 11 hours.
If you decide to go with the bigger option, a 40 oz (1183 ml) size bottle will keep drinks cold up to 58 hours or hot up to 20 hours. Both sizes feature a double-walled, vacuum-insulated design, made from 18/8 stainless steel.
This truly is one of the best water bottles for hot and cold.
The 24 oz size measures 3.8″ (9.7 cm) in diameter at the base, 3″ (7.6 cm) in diameter at the lip and 10.5″ (26.7 cm) in height.
It has a button-operated autoseal lid to prevent any leakages. Just push the button to open the spout, allowing liquid to flow when the bottle is tilted. Releasing the button closes the spout immediately.
A patented side lock prevents you from pushing the button, putting an end to accidental spills.
Some additional notable features of the Coleman FreeFlow AUTOSEAL water bottle include:
- Temperature Protection – will keep liquids insulated, regardless of surrounding temperatures
- Protective Spout Cover – keeps germs and unwanted debris out of your water bottle
- High Flow Rate – a uniquely designed spout allows you to hydrate quickly
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Coleman FreeFlow AUTOSEAL water bottle.
2. Hydro Flask Wide Mouth Water Bottle
The Hydro Flask wide mouth water bottle is available in two sizes. The more common 32 oz (946 ml) option and the larger 40 oz (1180 ml) size.
Both sizes are designed to keep beverages cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours.
Hydro Flask is able to obtain these impressive levels of insulation by utilizing 18/8 food-grade stainless steel for their double-walled vacuum insulated design.
The food-grade stainless steel ensures there is no flavor transfer and provides the durability required to withstand all drops and bumps.
A proprietary powder coat ensures a sweat-free and easy-grip water bottle. Additionally, the powder coat is available in various colors depending on your personal preference.
Included with each Hydro Flask purchase is their straw cap lid, however, it is not recommended for use with hot beverages.
For an additional cost, you can purchase both the Flex Cap and Flip Lid (recommended for hot liquids) that are both compatible with all Hydro Flask wide mouth water bottles.
Some additional notable features of the Hydro Flask Wide Mouth water bottle include:
- Pro-Grade Stainless Steel – guaranteed pure taste
- BPA Free – the water bottle, and available lids are all BPA-Free
- TempShield – keeping drinks hot or cold, regardless of the outside temperature
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Hydro Flask Wide Mouth water bottle.
3. Takeya 50011 Originals Vacuum-Insulated Stainless-Steel Water Bottle
All vacuum insulated water bottles from Takeya Originals will keep your beverage cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours, regardless of size.
Designed from food-grade stainless steel, the water bottle is available in 18 oz (532 ml), 24 oz (710 ml), 32 oz (946 ml) and 40 oz (1183 ml) sizes. The double-walled design is sweat-free, meaning there won’t be a build-up of condensation on the outside of your water bottle.
An insulated spout lid helps to keep beverages insulated from outside temperatures.
Additionally, the lid is leak-proof and was designed to have a constant flow rate. This allows you to sip, pour or chug your beverage at a constant rate, which helps to minimize spills.
Takeya Originals also designed a carry loop on their lid, this helps to secure your water bottle to backpacks. The 18 oz size measures 3.2″ (8.1 cm) in diameter and 9.2″ (23.4 cm) in height.
Some additional notable features of the Takeya 50011 Originals water bottle include:
- Pure Taste – no flavor transfer
- Spout Cap – stops unwanted dirt getting into the water bottle and the hinge-lock keeps it out of your face while drinking
- Sized For All – available in a range of sizes from 18 oz to 40 oz depending on your personal preference
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Takeya 50011 Originals water bottle.
4. ThermoFlask 50055 Double Stainless Steel Insulated Water Bottle
ThermoFlask 50055 water bottle is available in 5 different sizes from 18 oz (532 ml) up to 64 oz (1893 ml). In addition to various size options, they are also available in 5 different colors: black, capri, cobalt, plum, and white.
Regardless of the size, the water bottles keep drinks cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours. ThermoFlask is able to achieve this level of insulation by using a double-wall vacuum insulated design.
The double-walled stainless steel prevents outside temperatures from impacting liquid temperatures inside the water bottle.
All water bottles include both a chug lid and a straw lid. The chug lid was intended to be used for both hot and cold beverages, while the straw lid was designed for cold beverages.
Both lids have the same diameter for water bottles sized 18 oz, 24 oz, 32 oz, and 40 oz, while the 64 oz lids are slightly larger. The stainless steel body of the water bottle should be hand-washed, however, both lid types are top-rack dishwasher safe.
Some additional notable features of the ThermoFlask 50055 water bottle include:
- Sweat Free Design – prevents condensation build-up
- Top Loop – great for carrying or clipping the water bottle to your bag
- Easy Sipping – straw and chug lids, both included
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the ThermoFlask 50055 water bottle.
5. HYDRO CELL Stainless Steel Water Bottle
Double-walled, vacuum insulated, stainless steel water bottles from HYDRO CELL will keep your liquids cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 8 hours.
HYDRO CELL water bottles are available in four sizes from 18 oz (532 ml) up to 40 oz (1182 ml). Base diameters range from 2.9″ (7.4 cm) up to 3.6″ (9.1 cm) depending on the size, however, all mouth diameters are constant at 2.1″ (5.4 cm).
Food-grade stainless steel fabrication ensures the water bottle remains lightweight, while still being durable.
All HYDRO CELL water bottles come with both wide mouth and straw lids. This allows for different drinking options depending on the type of beverage you have and the scenario you are using the water bottle in.
The double-walled stainless steel ensures there is zero condensation build-up on the body of the bottle.
With a sweat-proof design, you can store your HYDRO CELL in your backpack worry-free, knowing it won’t damage surrounding objects.
Some additional notable features of the HYDRO CELL water bottle include:
- Powder Coat – anti-slip helps you grip the water bottle
- Carry Loop – both lids have a carry loop to easily clip to bags
- Highest Grade Stainless Steel – rust-resistant, and puncture-proof
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the HYDRO CELL water bottle.
In this article, we researched and reviewed our top 5 favorite best water bottle for hot and cold drinks. Our top 5 included water bottles from (1) Coleman, (2) Hydro Flask, (3) Takeya Originals, (4) ThermoFlask, and (5) HYDRO CELL.
We rated the best water bottle for hot and cold drinks based on the following categories:
- How long do liquids stay hot and cold?
- Water bottle design: How are they able to keep drinks hot and cold?
- Are multiple lids included?
For any comments, questions or feedback you might have, please send us a message through our contact form.