Advances in technology have allowed for simple consumer products to now be considered smart. An example of this can be seen with water bottles that track how much you drink. Sensors located around and throughout the water bottle track your water intake. Additionally, results can be synced to a phone app via Bluetooth, or displayed on a digital screen on the water bottle.
The purpose of this article is to make you, the reader, more informed about water bottles that track how much you drink.
At quenchingyourthirst.com, we have researched many smart water bottles. We have hand-picked our top 5 favorite water bottles that track how much you drink, and will review them in this article.
Our Top Pick
Hidrate Spark 3 Smart Water Bottle
Tracks Water Intake, Syncs To Phone App For Results, Set Hydration Goals, Provides Reminders To Drink Water, 20 oz, 8 Colors Available. Find it on Amazon here.
What Are We Looking For?
While researching and reviewing water bottles that track how much you drink, we rated them on the following:
How Does The Water Bottle Track Water Intake?
- As you will see throughout this article, there are several different technologies for tracking water intake. In most cases, sensors are either placed around the water bottle, on the lid or in a tube-like object (similar to a straw) that extends into the bottle. Some water bottles are very accurate and can track up to a partial ounce or milliliter, while others can only track by the bottle.
How To View Results?
- Similarly to tracking water intake, there are also a handful of different ways to view the results. Several companies have designed phone applications to accompany their smart water bottle. In this instance, data is synced over to your smartphone via Bluetooth. After the data is synced, there are several different options for graphing results, tracking progress, and setting goals. Other companies display results on a digital screen, right on the water bottle.
- Keep in mind with any digital sensor, display, or Bluetooth emitting device, there will need to be a battery to power it. Some smart water bottles feature batteries that can be recharged via USB (much like a phone), while others opt for replaceable coin batteries (similar to an analog watch). In this article, we make note of the different charging options for each smart water bottle.
Can You Set Reminders?
- It is one thing to track water intake, but if you are forgetting to drink water, there won’t be many results to analyze. Most smart water bottles are powered by a battery. This allows them to give off some form of reminder or notification to drink water. For instance, some water bottles can be set to glow periodically as a reminder, others give off an audible noise, or send a notification to your smartphone. In this article, we make note of the water bottles that track how much you drink as well as give off reminders.
- If you are strictly looking for a water bottle with reminder alarm, check out the article we recently wrote about this topic.
Water Bottle Functionality
- A lot of companies get caught up on the technology aspect of smart water bottles. However smart these water bottles are, they should still provide basic functionality. Furthermore, we define functionality as all the features that non-smart water bottles have. Such as being leak-proof, the ability to clip to a bag or easily carry, insulated from surrounding temperatures, ability to hold hot and cold liquids, etc. Throughout this article, we make note of the smart water bottles that also provide basic functionality.
Considering all that was discussed above, our top 5 picks for water bottles that track how much you drink are from the following companies (1) Hidrate, (2) Joseph Joseph, (3) HydraCoach, (4) Thermos, and (5) EQUA.
Some general details for each of the top 5 water bottles that track how much you drink can be seen in the comparison table below.
Scroll from right to left on a mobile device to view hidden table columns.
|Size||20 oz (592 ml)||20, 25 oz (592, 739 ml)||22 oz (651 ml)||24 oz (710 ml)||23 oz (680 ml)|
|Phone App||iOS and Android||No||No||iOS and Android||iOS and Android|
|Hydration Reminder||Yes, bottle glows||Yes, dots on lid||Yes, digital display||No||Yes, bottle glows|
Keep scrolling down to see detailed reviews and pictures of each smart water bottle.
1. Hidrate Spark 3 Smart Water Bottle
Hidrate has designed a water bottle that glows to remind you to drink water, in addition to tracking your water intake.
The Spark 3 water bottle uses advanced sensor technology inside the bottle to track how much you drink. Your water intake data is then synced to the Hidrate Spark app via Bluetooth and can be viewed on any iOS or Android device.
Other features on the app include daily hydration goal setting. Designed from, BPA-Free, food safe Tritan and Polypropylene plastic, the bottle can hold up to 20 oz (592 ml) of water.
Furthermore, the Hidrate Spark 3 glows as a reminder to drink more water. The glow illuminates the whole bottle and you can set reminders at regular intervals or when you are behind on your daily hydration goal.
No need to charge this smart water bottle as it is powered by a long-lasting CR2477 coin battery. The battery can easily be replaced at the bottom of the bottle when required.
Other notable features of the Hidrate Spark 3 Smart water bottle include:
- Pair With Fitness Apps – integrate with fitness tracking apps such as Fitbit, Apple Watch, Google Fit, Under Armour, and Nokia.
- Outer Silicone Sleeve – minimizes condensation build-up and improves grip
- Maintenance – lid and bottom ring can be placed in the dishwasher, hand wash water bottle body and sensor
- Stylish – available in 8 different colors
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Hidrate Spark 3 Smart water bottle.
2. Joseph Joseph 81053 Dot Hydration Tracking Water Bottle
The Joseph Joseph smart water bottle tracks your consumption on the lid. Every time you refill the water bottle and twist the smart lid, a dot, in the form of a light, appears.
The premise is that each dot represents a bottle of water, up to a maximum of four dots per day. As a reminder of how much you have drunk, dots help to keep your hydration goals on track throughout the day.
Additionally, it is very satisfying to refill your water bottle and see an additional dot.
The water bottle comes in 20 oz (591 ml) or 25 oz (739 ml) sizes and is designed from BPA-Free, Tritan plastic.
Additionally, Joseph Joseph has created multiple colors of this smart bottle, including blue, grey, green, pink, purple and white.
Be sure to only hand wash the lid, however, the bottle is dishwasher safe.
Check out the video below to see how the Joseph Joseph smart water bottle works.
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Joseph Joseph 81053 Dot Hydration Tracking water bottle.
3. HydraCoach 2.0
HydraCoach 2.0 is a smart water bottle that tracks your water intake and allows you to see your progress right on the bottle.
Data tracked and recorded from HydraCoach 2.0 never leaves the bottle, and you aren’t required to download or connect to a phone app. Furthermore, the following features are displayed on the digital bottle screen:
- Drink Monitor – tracks the total amount of water consumed throughout the day
- Hydration Goals – automatically calculates recommended water intake
- Average Consumption – shows hourly water consumption averages
- Sip Tracker – shows the percentage consumed of your daily goal
The HydraCoach 2.0 comes in one 22 oz (651 ml) size and is available in clear and aqua colors. Fitting in most standard-sized cup holders, the bottle measures 3″ (7.6 cm) in diameter and 10″ (25.4 cm) in height.
The BPA-Free water bottle is dishwasher safe, or it can be cleaned by hand. However, be sure to remove the digital display before washing.
Finally, HydraCoach has also designed a Hydration Calculator on its website. This can be used as a baseline for setting your hydration goals.
If we haven’t convinced in you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the HydraCoach 2.0.
4. Thermos 24 oz Hydration Bottle with Connected Smart Lid
The brains of this Thermos 24 oz (710 ml) water bottle are all in the lid. Furthermore, the smart lid tracks water intake and also provides real-time temperature readings of liquid in the bottle.
Data is then synced over to Thermos’ smartphone application for viewing via Bluetooth. Thermos’ smartphone application is available on both iOS and Android app stores.
The Thermos Smart Lid bottle is available in teal and smoke colors. Furthermore, it measures 3.1″ (7.9 cm) in diameter and 10.6″ (27.0 cm) in height.
Sensors are powered by a lithium-ion battery which typically lasts up to 12 days before requiring to be re-charged.
Other notable features of the Thermos 24 oz Hydration Bottle with Connected Smart Lid include:
- Accountability – set your daily hydration goal
- Thermos Smart Lid App – view goals, chart daily, weekly, and monthly hydration progress, and see liquid temperature
- Compatibility – connect your Fitbit account to see both hydration and fitness stats
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the Thermos 24 oz Hydration Bottle with Connected Smart Lid.
5. EQUA Smart Water Bottle
The EQUA Smart water bottle may be the most elegant smart water bottle on the market today. It comes in a 23 oz (680 ml) sized water bottle that is made from quality stainless steel material.
Additionally, the water bottle features a double-walled, vacuum-insulated design that keeps drinks cold for 24 hours and hot for 12 hours. It measures 2.9″ (7.3 cm) in diameter and 9.8″ (25.0 cm) in length, weighing 16.6 oz (1.04 lbs).
To start tracking your water intake, download the EQUA app that is available for both iOS and Android devices. You can sync your EQUA water bottle via Bluetooth.
Once set up, the EQUA app will calculate and recommend daily hydration goals based on the data you give it (lifestyle and personal characteristics).
Additionally, on the app, you can view your water intake and goal progress. Another feature of the water bottle is that it glows as a reminder to drink more water.
Other notable features of the EQUA Smart water bottle include:
- Stylish – available in 5 different colors: dark grey, mr. matt, mrs. glossy, pink blush and snow white
- Rechargeable – with a micro B type USB cable (included)
- Washing – bottle is dishwasher safe, however, the cap is hand wash only
If we haven’t convinced you already, read the Amazon reviews to see what others love about the EQUA Smart water bottle.
In conclusion, we researched and reviewed our top 5 picks for water bottles that track how much you drink. Our top 5 included water bottles from the following companies (1) Hidrate, (2) Joseph Joseph, (3) HydraCoach, (4) Thermos, and (5) EQUA.
We rated water bottles that track how much you drink on the following categories:
- How does the water bottle track water intake?
- How to view results?
- Can you set reminders?
- Water bottle functionality
For any comments, questions or feedback you might have, please send us a message through our contact form.